Monday, August 2, 2010

DREADLOCKS

BEFORE
Yes dreadlocks. I got dreadlocks. Im so thrilled and excited about my beautiful dreads. Now they aren’t that beautiful yet but they will get there. It takes time so I hear. It was about a 2 hour process today. My 2 friends got them started and separated but then when we got home Peter went over them again and really hard core backcombed them to the point where I screamed a few times he was hurting me. Its okay though its worth the pain. My hair is pretty think to begin with so right now my dreads are massive puff balls but sleeping on them should tone them down a bit.
.AFTER
You may be asking WHY? Well I’ve always liked them first of all. Ever since I was young I wanted to be a hippy. Im just drawn to the hippy style and look. I don’t know why but I can’t help it. Its who I am. I guess my mom has something to do with it. But she hates dreads so you can imagine how she felt when I told her I was getting them. Anyway. I always was too scared to get them but then I stumbled across this blog walkslowlylivewildly.com and was totally inspired. She wrote about her dread journey and said that she didn’t want to be 80 and think back to all the things she didn’t do in her life. And it totally connected with me and I was like YEA, You’re right!! Now is the time to do it and hello its just hair. So I’ll chop it off when Im done with them and it’ll grow back. Peter actually wants to see me with a shaved head. I don’t know if we’ll go that far but when the time comes to get rid of the dreads my hair will be pretty darn short. Oh well. That’s a long way off. For now I love my dreads. It will take work and time to get them to the point of truly loving them but Im committed to it. It shall be fun.

I also feel like the dreads are part of my spiritual journey. I don’t want to sound cheesy or new age or anything like that but I seriously feel like I was supposed to get them at this time in my life. God is doing so much in me right now and one thing has to do with my self image. I have confidence and self esteem issues, I always have. Its kind of a girl thing but I think mine is a little extreme. I care a little too much about my looks and what people think of me. And with dreads people have their opinions and they are different but its me and I can’t change them as soon as I get a little self conscious about them because they are permanent. I am learning to not worry so much about what others think and to see myself through Gods eyes. Dreads are helping me step into my identity which is a daughter of the King…who likes dreads!

So I’ll keep you posted on the journey!! Let me know what you think!!

2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I love them! Can't imagine how cool they'll look as they "grow"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an old post, but I saw the word dreadlocks in your archive and had to check it out. I can totally relate to you...I have been wanting dreads for about 10 years now and still can't take the plunge. I think I have finally accepted that I will never be "ready" for dreads...unless one day I decide I am and then I will go for it! Can't wait to see how they turn out in a few months and how you like them!!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete