Thursday, November 11, 2010

What is healthy?

I hear so many different sides to the same story and still can not figure out what is the truth. There is much talk about the vegetarian, vegan, and raw diet and how good it makes a person feel and in the long run it is so good for you to not eat animal products. Our body doesn’t need it we just think we need it. Or we are misinformed because the western culture has gone so off track with their eating habits. Then I hear that vegetarians are missing some vital nutrition and they actually do not live longer than us meat eaters.

I don’t know what to think. I know God created us to be vegetarians in the garden of eden but then because of the fall of man blood was shed and man began to eat meat. And then the rest is history. But what is best for us now? Certainly not Burger King. But now neither is the veggies you get at the grocery store because who knows what was sprayed on them or how long they‘ve been sitting there or where they even came from. You can’t trust anything anymore because so many people are just trying to make money and the result becomes not so important. They loose sight of the integrity of what they are selling.

Organic and local is the way to go right? I would love love love to go that route. I really would but the budget these days on a one income household just will not cover it. And my husband would love to also but it just seems impossible to eat all natural all the time. The other thing is breaking those old habits that you were raised on and that crap food that is just soooo good. Like cheese curls or bacon or ring bologna, ooo zebra cakes. Its hard to give up the convenience of fast/frozen food today. Preparing good fresh food is a commitment and lots of work. Many hours in the kitchen which is hard now with a little one.

We are taking baby steps though. We have been juicing for a few months now which is great for the whole family. We only eat a simple frozen meal once a week. We seriously never eat at fast food places except for an occasional taco bell because we both like it and its cheap. We don’t necessarily eat meat every single night even though my husband would prefer to. I don’t know I feel like we do pretty good. I just can not completely eliminate something for ever without having a really good reason.(ex. Celiac) I do feel convicted at times for what I eat but then I just let go and think we aren’t going to live forever right. I can do my best to eat healthy but I’m not going to stress about the occasional junk food binge. I’m just not.

1 comment:

  1. Not-stressing is the way to go. I definitely think there is a happy medium. I really liked the ideas in the book The Makers Diet...He points out what God laid out in the Bible TO eat with meat and food etc.It was eye opening.
    I have tried to take steps towards eating more whole foods, I try to buy organic when I can... I've settled for a happy medium. Twice a month I buy organic milk and/or eggs: when I find organic meat for a semi-reasonable price I buy it. That's that much less the nasty stuff we're getting. We shoot to only buy free-trade organic coffee (but we aren't big coffee drinkers so this is a once a month...every few months purchase)... I try to limit the proccessed stuff. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete