Wednesday, November 17, 2010

So many changes...

Noni is just growing up so fast. I can not believe how much she is going through right now. She is getting teeth in like all the time. Shes getting over a little cold. She is starting to say words like uh oh, ba-bye, hi, mommy and mama, dada, and la you. She is walking great but starting to run and she still falls a lot. Shes starting to do steps really well. She can walk down one with out holding on and with out falling. She understands so much of what I say and wants to follow the instructions that I give her. She wants to help me with everything which makes it take twice as long. She is starting to love books and really sits and looks at the pictures. Her hair is getting so long. We are not weaning yet but it is being thought about. (bitter sweet) She is just changing so much right in front of my eyes. Its amazing and beautiful to see.

I write this post though to express my empathy for her. She is going through so much and I forget that sometimes. I want to remember how hard it must be for her to not be able to express her opinion or communicate easily. I sort of know what she wants but sometimes I just don't. She doesn't understand why I want her to do something or why she can't do something else. She is curious, adventurous, and wants to do everything mommy does.

It is my goal as a mom to respect my children and their opinion. To validate every emotion good, bad, and ugly. Even at this young age she has a right to be heard and accepted. I read in one of the Sears books that it is okay to cry and get the emotion out. Just like you would for an adult, you let them cry but you are there to comfort them, not shush them.

I find myself allowing certain things Nonah does to bother me when I am around certain people, specifically the older generation, because I feel like they think Im not disciplining her enuogh. I feel like they are "right" when I am with them. I forget that wait a minute she is a person with feelings and opinions and has every right to not want to sit in the cart. Shes a toddler of course she wants to touch everything. The idea of talking to your child and telling them what the plan is instead of simply making them do it is so new to my mom. Communication is key in every relationship including parent child relationships. Then the whole spoiled thing...so what if she is spoiled shes my daughter and I can spoil her if I want to. Right?

I am so thankful that Peter is on the same page and is so sensitive to her. I come home after times of confusion and he brings me back to what we believe and have decided to do as parents. I love that he always makes me feel better. And I love my Noni girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment