Friday, October 15, 2010

Having an open mind

This is something I have been thinking about lately and want to just process it here. I feel like this could be a touchy subject but I’m going to try to express my point.

As Christians we can tend to be seen as judgmental and hypocritical. There are many things in this world that because of what the bible has revealed to us who believe it to be the truth of God is unacceptable for us to partake in. That being said there is one important thing the bible tells us to do that a lot (not all) of Christians forget to do. They don’t realize how important it is and that is to Love. It’s in the commandments to love your neighbor as yourself and its in the New Testament that no matter what you do in this world without love you are nothing. Love is described so beautifully in 1 Corinthians 13. It is all throughout the bible and it is so much more than what the world thinks of love.

That brings me to having an open mind. Having an open mind is not accepting everything as good and right but understanding that we are all at different places in life and have come from different back grounds. Having an open mind is knowing that we all have to make our own decisions and releasing people to do that even if you disagree with it. Having an open mind is to know that looks do not matter but it’s the heart that does. Having an open mind is seeing people the way God sees them. Having an open mind is going against what our instinct says to do which is judge. Having an open mind is to love. I could go on but you get the picture. I think to have an open mind you need to be in tune with God because it is our human nature to judge, criticize, and not look at the bigger picture. Only Jesus who is the perfect picture of love can teach us how to have an open mind and love like He did.

I want to love better. I want to love the unlovely. I want to see a person the way God sees them not through our worldly stereotypes. I want to be able to show Jesus’ love and kindness to everyone I come in contact with. I want to have an open mind!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment