Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Night Weaning

So I have started the process of night weaning. I never thought I would still be nursing my girl at 20 months. Until I had her that is. When I was pregnant I thought it was just wierd to be nursing a baby past a year. And nursing I child that talks, how rediculous. But once that sweet babe was in my arms and we started our breastfeeding journey, there was no question that I would nurse past the age of one. Why should I stop. We both enjoy it, it comforts her, and it puts her to sleep. (every time) We co-sleep and whenever she woke up she would find the boob and go back to sleep. It was fine with me because that meant I got to sleep.

Then I got pregnant. I think my milk has lessened and it seemed like Noni just wanted to nurse 24/7. She started waking more and more through out the night, wanting to nurse what felt like the entire night. My breasts got tender and sore and I just wanted her off of me. So for those reasons and the fact that we want her to be able to sleep better if not on her own by the time the next babe comes I decided to start the dreadful process of night weaning.
About a month ago I did it for about 2 weeks. Not letting her fall asleep while nursing and doing other things to comfort her. She wasn't taking it well and we went on vacation and I just got fed up with the lack of sleep I was getting. So we took a brake. But we are starting round 2. Its been almost a week and although she still wakes up she only cries for 5 to 10 minutes.
Usually me singing to her is what puts her back to sleep. Its been enjoyable finding other ways to comfort her. She always pushes her body as close as possible to mine, sometimes we hold hands and other times she doesn't want to be touched. I already feel like I am sleeping better. It's just really nice to not have that brake from nursing. The hardest part was saying no to her which I wasn't ready to do until now. Thats how I know Im ready to stop because I can say NO to her. And she is ok. I'm not ready to stop nursing completely I just need it to lessen.
I'm hoping she will eventually start to sleep through the night or just need my touch instead of waking up and crying but we'll see. One step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment