Thursday, June 21, 2012

Parenting Books

There are sooooo many parenting books out there these days it can be soo overwhelming to know what to read. There are so many different philosiphys and theories and how to and there is pretty much a book for everything anymore.

Some mamas hate parenting books and don't read any and then there are mamas that read every book they can find on everything they can think of.

I am somewhere in between. I have read quite a few parenting books. I love that their are resources that I can go to to get some reassurance or input. My mom picks on me and says, "oh what, did you get that from one of your books?" I have learned a lot from my "books" and I don't always agree with everything but I find it helpful to read about an issue I am having or advice on how to handle something.

That being said I don't go to the library and check out every single parenting book there is. It has to be one someone recommended or I heard about or I know is somewhat in line with where Im coming from. (gentle, christian mothering)For example I will not read "Baby Wise." I have read snipits and I know its not the right book for me.

"The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears though, got me through my first week...month...year of parenting. It was my go to, my reassurance, my encourager. It helped me become the kind of parent I am today. I am not even sure who told me about it or why I got it from the library in the first place but it just clicked with me. I loved their view on parenting. It taught me to listen to my babies ques and to trust my own mama instincts and not give in to well meaning friends and family telling me what I should and shouldn't do. It was hard enough becoming a mom but to do everything different than my family was even harder. I got into a screaming fight with my mom the first week my baby was born over some issues and this book was my go to. When I would doubt my self and what I was doing this book would make me feel better.

I have since read almost all of Dr. Sears books.
The Nightime Parenting Book
The Fussy Baby and High-Needs Child Book
The Complete Guide to Christian Parenting and Child Care
The Successful Child
The Discipline Book
They are all great books and been helpful to me off and on throughout my mommying.
(I did not read there Pregnancy or Breastfeeding Book but I might during my next pregnancy. we'll see)

I have also read
"Raising Your Spirited Child" Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
"Your One-Year-Old" Louise Bates Ames
and probably more but these are what come to mind.

I am now reading "Loving Our Kids on Purpose" Danny Silk which so far is really good and I am also reading the "Mission of Motherhood" Sally Clarkson. These ones are not neccessarily how to books but more of an encouragement for christian parents. Both have been exactly what I need in this stage of mommying. It was Gods perfect timing that brought me these books.

So I love parenting books. I feel like they have helped me be a better mama and be the kind of mama I am today. I do however, need to put them down and just be me. Sometimes I get overwhelmed feeling like I am not doing a good enough job or should do this or that differently and I just can't take it. I am not perfect and neither are the people writing the books but I guess I feel like they are sometimes. I get hard on myself and down about something and I need to just figure it out on my own.

It is a balance. The books are there if I need them but sometimes I don't need them. I don't need to read about everything. Ya know?!

No comments:

Post a Comment