Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Co-Sleeping

I just read this blog about sleep and what has worked for this time. Part time co-sleepers. I think that is what I will be doing with our next baby.

I have co-slept with my Noni girl since day one. She was the kind of baby that did not sleep if she wasn't either being touched by mommy or swinging. Co-sleeping seemed to be the best solution. The easy access to my boob in order to put her back to sleep within seconds was really great at first. I got a good amount of sleep and woke up well rested. Then there was a gradual progression where Noni seemed to sleep less and less and nurse more and more. It felt like she was attached to me all night. All I wanted to do is lay on my back and I couldn't or I would disturb Nonah. I felt stuck. I wanted to do what was best for Noni but I also had to take care of myself. I put up with the lack of sleep for quite a while because I just didn't know what else to do without making her cry it out.

Then a friend passed along a step by step process to night weaning. (so helpful, thanks HB)
And so it began. My husband slept in another room while I began to not offer her the boob and just do other things to comfort her back to sleep. (water bottle, singing, cuddling, rubbing her back or belly, or just being there) The first night she cried for about 30 min til she fell back asleep, then 20, then 10. It was hard to hear her cry but I was at a place where I was just sooo ready. Being pregnant with my second I have gotten more sensitive to touch and just couldn't take it anymore. We did it for a week or so then went on vacation and took a break. Then started back again and have been done nursing at night for about a month now. She eventually stopped asking for it and just simply wanted me there. She would ask for her water often but then would just roll over.

Oh I forgot to say that she got her own twin size bed in her own room a while ago. She has been napping in it for a while now. I decided to see how she would do in her own bed without me there. I slept on the floor two nights in a row and she only woke once or twice. I wanted to be there to be able to hear her if she woke and be able to calm her quickly. She didn't even need me to touch her or anything. She let out a little cry and rolled over. SO. I decided to try it. I went and slept in my own bed while she slept in her own bed. She woke twice but again didn't need me to get back to sleep. She slept 8 hours in her bed without me!! It has been a week now and she is doing GREAT! Last night she literally slept 8 hours straight through. If she cried I didn't hear her. I of course didn't sleep 8 hrs straight through but thats ok. I am so proud of her!

Phew. all that being said, my husband wants to do things a little differently with the next babe. Which I wasn't sure about at first but I think he would be ok with part time co-sleeping. Sleep is an interesting topic when it comes to babies and I am so glad we have been gentle with Nonah and teaching her that sleep is a good and safe thing and that mommy and daddy are there for her any time of the day. That is very important to me!! Who knows maybe the next babe will be a great sleeper and not want to sleep with me, we will see!

this is one way we used to get her to go to sleep. She loved being bounced up and down. so funny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment