Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tandem Nursing

The other day I decided I was going to write a post about my tandem nursing experience and how its going. That same day I found this post on a blog that I read regularly and I felt like she took the words right out of my mouth. So read that blog first then come back to mine. :).......

I feel the exact same way. Breastfeeding is a beautiful and amazing thing and I couldn't imagine not breastfeeding my babes. When I first had Nonah I did not know how long I was going to nurse but I knew it was going to be for atleast a year and the thought of nursing her when she could talk kind of freaked me out. Then the time came to have Evey and I just couldnt imagine stopping, yet. Nonah nursed all through my pregnancy even though it was pretty uncomfortable for me. She only did it 2 maybe 3 times a day and sometimes less. We had gradually made the transition to daddy putting her down for bed so she didn't need nursing in order to fall asleep. Yay. Nursing laying down was the worst during my pregnancy.

When Evey was born and I was birthing my placenta my tandem nursing began. Evey had latched on and I offered it to Nonah and we akwardly got into position. It took some time but we got it down now. Nonah sits on my lap and Evey sits on Nonahs lap. It works pretty good. Nonah holds Eveys hands and we have a little cuddle fest. Evey is almost 6 weeks old now and Nonah is nursing atleast 3 times a day, sometimes more. She would nurse 10 times a day if I would let her. It is hard feeling the difference in their latch and once my milk lets down and stops flowing as much Nonahs latch really gets um irritating. I am setting limits for Nonah because I have to but I also want her to get that comfort and attention from me so I will try to nurse them seperatly but sometimes when Im home by myself thats just not possible. The worst is in the morning. Shes been waking up early and comes in my bed (which is fine) but then she wants to nurse and Im not awake yet and I dont like nursing laying down and if I say No she freaks out and it starts off our morning pretty yucky. So Im going to have to figure out how to start our mornings peacefully.

At this point I do not forsee Noni loosing interest in nursing any time soon. I have no idea how long I will nurse her and I like that. Thats what child led weaning is all about not having a plan. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment